Thursday, April 8, 2010

Sunset Trip to Castle Rock

Another day, another Antarctic Adventure. This time, I traveled by Nodwell with 15 fellow McMurdonians to Castle Rock for an amazing sunset.

While in town, my outdoor exposure is relatively limited. I am outside for 15-20 minutes while traveling in between buildings or on my way down to the Galley for meals. However, these trips away from town remind me just how cold it is without the comforts of B155 or the Electrical Supply Warehouse. Especially while being transported across the snowy terrain in an unheated metal box.

The trip included a bouncy ride in the back of the Nodwell, a steep yet brief hike up to the base of Castle Rock, rolling (yes, rolling as Robyn, Lisa and I found sliding to be ineffective) down the perfectly slanted slope we worked so hard to get up, giggle fits, star gazing and aliens. Quite typical for an Antarctic Adventure, really.

The Nodwell: similar to a Delta, but with tracks instead of gigantic tires.

Robyn, slightly concerned that she may not have packed enough purple for the trip...

Zach and Brandon trying desperately to hold still for the photo despite their excitement and the awesomeness of MCs driving.

Lou! Don't be fooled...he's dangerous.

Lisa, terrified and cold, yet still adorable.

The Crazy Coconut Gang: Lisa, Me and Robyn.

Hello Moon!

Wowza! Makes me feel like I'm on another planet...





Rich, the Abominable Snow NINJA!

Vying for the perfect shot...

Our fearless trip leaders Kelli & MC!

Arrooooo, werewolves of McMurdo!

A purple snow kitten or vixen?

Meooooraaaaaarrrrrrhhhhhh!

In the dark, dark, dark...there was a NODWELL!

Goodnight Moon!

Lisa Jenkins, hiding in the shadows...



The Chichi Monster also lurks in shadows...giggling.

Note to self...glasses frost.

It's a FRAGLE! It's a FRAGLE! It's a FRAGLE! Oh wait...it's the purple vixen!

"So, whatchuwanna do?", "I dunno, whatchUwanna do?", "I dunno"

Post rolling down the hill giggle fit.

Kelli!!!

Alien gazing...

"Yep, that's how I roll" (Literally) Silly Robyn!

Rachel is afraid. Very afraid. Aliens are coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment