Thursday, April 15, 2010

Aurora Australis

At 2:05pm, an email, disguised as any other ordinary email, slipped into my inbox singing promises of magic. Not just any magic, but magic of "huge prominence"...

from Crary Lab

Excerpt from the www.spaceweather.com website April 14, 2010: "HUGE PROMINENCE: One of the biggest prominences in years erupted from the sun's northwestern limb yesterday. The massive plasma-filled structure rose up and burst during a ~2 hour period around 0900 UT on April 13th. Observers in Europe had a great view"

Photo from www.spaceweather.com

I think the first time I ever heard about Auroras was in the movie The Snow Queen (Fairytale Theatre, circa 1985).


I never imagined my eyes would bare witness to such mysterious and erie beauty. And yet. At midnight when I walked down and over the crunchy snow to the deck of Hut 10, amongst zillions and zillions of stars, I saw grey and greenish cloudlike curtains hanging in the sky.

It was cold and still - not a single breath of wind. The silence seemed unbreakable, save for the powerplant operations, as if any sound I made would be swallowed by the shallow inhilation of a sleeping beast. The kind of night when one could easily sit and stare for hours upon hours (given the proper clothing and well positioned hand/toe warmers) contemplating the meaning of life, the vastness of the universe and what it might feel like to be an ionized nitrogen atom regaining an electron due to the excitement of solar wind.

Believing that somehow this moment could be captured, I attempted to shoot the sky with my little Kodak camera...

obviously unsuccessful, yet still kind of an interesting photo, which resulted from my fliping the camera over to make sure the shutter hadn't frozen open, or could quite possibly be the outline of The Serpentine de Nieva (The Snow Snake - the Antarctic Chupacabra), that feeds on FNG blood, petron and cheetos.

Others were more successful in capturing a camera's version of the truth that night...

Auroras over McMurdo compliments of the I:Drive taken from T-Site

No comments:

Post a Comment