Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Precipice: The Midway Point

I remember the shock. My fingertips froze instantly when I first stepped off the C-17. The blinding white whirlwind of Antarctica was entirely unknown to me. On October 6, 2009, as I took my first step onto the Sea Ice, my bunny boots making their first footprint in the snow, I was so dramatically humbled. It would be weeks before I came out of my shell-shocked coma of terror and uncertainty. The girl that stepped off that plane was so completely unaware of what life would be like here.

Now, after 189 days on the Ice, with 189 days to go, I wonder if I am even the same person.

My Penguin Timer...tick, ticking away

I am amazed at how well, or at least from my perspective, I was able to adapt. I owe a huge debt to the people that helped me survive, helped me orient, helped me discover who I am all over again and pushed me in new directions. Namely, Sharona and Bamma: Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

To the folks back home, I want to say:

A year ago today, I sent you a message letting you know I'd gotten my first offer letter from Raytheon Polar Services for a position in Antarctica. As I sit now, in the Electrical Supply warehouse, 14,000 miles away on the coldest and driest continent on Earth, I am filled with gratitude.

Thank you for being part of my life. Thank you for believing in me. Thank you for encouraging me to follow my dreams. Thank you for your friendship. Thank you for your support. Thank you for sharing this journey with me through email and Facebook. Thank you for reading my blog. Thank you for sending me cards and letters and treats! Thank you for listening to me whine about being homesick. Thank you for thinking warm thoughts for me. Thank you for being part of my dreams. Thank you for being you!

You are an important part of my life and I appreciate you!

As I continue with my Antarctic adventure, please know that you are in my heart and on my mind. I believe in you and your dreams.

Mad Love from the Ice - Chichi

RANDOM STATS:

Consumed
2.5 Bottles of Shampoo/Conditioner
1.3 Tubes of Toothpaste
1.4 Cartridges of Dental Floss
4.5 Bars of Soap
5.7 HUGE Bottles of Lotion
378 Cups of Hot Cocoa
60+ Wednesday Cookies
2 Pairs of Boots
and nearly my entire wardrobe, which seems to be disintegrating faster than I am able to hem/sew/fix any given piece of clothing

271,488 = Times I thought about someone/something from home
15,244,250 = Times I said or thought, "Brrrr!"
533,658 = Times I thought, "Wow, this is amazing"

No comments:

Post a Comment