Thursday, June 17, 2010

Package Mail in the Middle of June

Yet another brilliant aspect of Winter is the spontaneous, new and different activities that people come up with. Package Mail delivery in June is just such an idea, brought to us by the inventive mind of Pedro Salom. Having over estimated the amount of excellent coffee he would need for the season, Pedro found himself wanting to share with his fellow winterover. He thought, "Surely other folks must have overstock items they'd like to share too!" And thus, the package mail in June idea came to be.

Package Mail Excitement!


Pedro recreated the USPS logo and service as the Penguin Express Postal Service. Those wishing to participate could sign up to donate one box of package mail in exchange for one box of package mail. He recruited me to create a quaint little mail box as well (see my art blog).

For days I collected specialty items, I pondered all kinds of goodies to include. And, come package mail drop-off day, I'd put together the perfect box!

The Mailing Label - I even found a NORTH POLE postmark!

Package Mail Drop-Off Station

The Package Pile Grows!

Because I had the good fortune of having generous friends
who send me loads of delicious goodies and was bequeathed
many more by my beloved departing summer folks,
I was able to include all of this in my package:

Punjab Choley Indian Dinner
Punjab Eggplant Indian Dinner
Natural Sliced Almonds
Lipton Chicken Noodle Soup Mix
Toasted Dried Seaweed
Dried Unsweetened Strawberries
Tangerine Emergen-C Packets
Orange Pomegranate Immunity Zenergize Drink Mix
Citrus Immunity Zenergize Drink Mix
Cherry Limeade and Pink Lemonade Crystal Lite Drink Mix
Very Berry Dried Fruit Mix
Celestial Seasonings Morning Thunder Black Energy Tea
Polar Ice and Supermint Gum
Gourmet Coffee
Dark Chocolate Peppermint Bark (I MADE THIS from a Giant Candy Cane I found in SKUA and dark chocolate purchased from the store)
Milk Chocolate Ginger Bark (I MADE this TOO!)
Coconut Cream Hawaiian Alba Lip Gloss
Coconut Lime Body Lotion
Cucumber Mellon Hand-crafted Soap
Hand-knit, double-thick, crochet trimmed, wool and acrylic blend, green and orange midwinter hat
Aromatherapy Lemon Scented Glitter Rock
Inspirational Bookmark
Teeny Tiny Tree Painting
Midwinter Mix CD
Penguin Straw
Penguin Playing Cards

We dropped our packages off on Monday and Tuesday. Each package was given a label with a number on it, and then each number was put into an online randomization calculator and assigned to package recipients.

We're on the recipient list!
On Thursday during lunch, we were able to pick up our packages.

It's official...We've Got Mail!

Just another day down HWY 1...wait...what's that?

It's the Ross Island Postal Service Box!

And of course, true to postal form, a line...

but these customers don't mind waiting, Karen is super excited!

Satisfied customers!

Chantel is piled with packages!

Ross Island Postal Service Employees, they're contract too.

Quinn and her Sysco box.

Ouuuuu! Mine is sparkly and PINK!

The Postmaster Himself: Monsieur Pedro.

What a great pile of packages!

Melson, check, sign here please...

Excitement!

Mr. Jenkins gets his mail.

This is Mr. Jenkins.
In case you need further clarification,
there is his name and an arrow to help you out.

Rich is all smiles from his box!

Karen is in for a treat!

Is that a box of GOLDEN GRAMS???

Wickles - Wickedly Delicious Pickles!

Exactly.

Genevieve gets the megabox!

Packed to the brim with goodies!

Even Marika is amazed!

Cory, on the other hand, is terrified.

A lot of people opened their package in the recreation
office which was nice because then we all got to enjoy the surprises.

Lisa and Shandra get served!

Shandra's box had a special message
from her package mail sender...how sweet!

All bundled up and ready for some mail...

it's Lisa Jenkins!

MC looks happy.
Of course, it could be from his pineapple shirt,
but I think it might be the box.

Possom gloves! Lorna Dunes and Twinkle lights! How lucky!

Jeanne is ready for her treats!

Amy looks a little...nervous???

Robyn!

Allison got a partial bottle of rum and some underware...

a twinkie...

and a little water gun!
Notice how the bottle of rum never leaves her hot little hands.

Even the Postmaster gets mail!

Wine, candy...

PRANA shorts...score!

Corrine's got a grin.

Classic Calvin and Hobbes!

The event got excellent reviews:

"Nifty program! Many thanks to Allison, Pedro and the fine person that mailed my package. Hooray for being part of the postal system again…" - Rich Jenkins

"To: My secret sender, I'm SO happy...love my package! Great job Pedro and Allison! Keep the creative ideas flowing!!!"
- Janette Plummer

"Hello packagers! I love my package and want to thank you so much! And Many Thanks to Pedro and Allison for putting this together!!! Have a great midwinter!! Xs and Os " - Genevieve Bachman

"It was really great to have a little treat to look forward to."
- Shandra Cordovano

"It actually made my day and it gave me something exciting to look
forward to all week! Then opening it up was better than my
birthday or Christmas!!! Thanks all!!!" - Chantel Torres

And my package recipient sent me a note too:

"Chelsea, You are amazing. You have amazing taste! I LOVE EVERYTHING! I am giggling and smiling so much. It was funny, I got into my room, put on my twinkle lights, put on some nice music, and then carefully opened the box. Every wonderful gift after another brougt about a smile. That little painting ...you have no idea...but that is so me. :) I am feeling like the luckiest girl on station and YOU are the reason for that today. I truly hope your gift gives you 10 fold in return. Hugs to you Chelsea!" - Karen Simas

(Thanks for making me cry Karen! XOXO!!!)

My package was truly incredible. Not only did it come in an amazing pink sparkly box, but included: nun chucks (hand crafted), punching balloons, delicious chocolates, candy canes, chiclets, dvds, a puzzle and loads more! I have been grinning from ear to ear for days. THANK YOU Gina and Patrick!

Awesomeness.

Awesomeness.

Awesomeness.

Awesome doesn't quite seem to cover it, but it will have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment