Friday, June 18, 2010

Chichi versus Millvan 701

The Millvan: tough shed meets shipping container. There are probably hundreds in Antarctica, maybe even thousands. Supplies and materials come in them during ship off-load and are then filled with waste and shipped back to the States. Also used to store excess materials and trap unsuspecting materialspersons.

Just outside my warehouse (we've gotten quite close over the winter, you know, my warehouse and I) there are two excess storage millvans: 701 and 702.

As I was recently notified of some material that needed to be relocated from another warehouse (the infamous BLDG 174) and needed to come to into my realm of material control, I decided the best place for this material to live would be millvan 701.

Alas, complications arose when the delivery person (who shall of course remain unnamed) decided that the best place to put the crate was the snow mound in front of millvan 701, rather than say, the level, barren ground to the side of it. Said crate also broke into pieces upon delivery, spilling material out into the snow. Said delivery person ALSO did not bother to TELL me about this disaster, let alone, offer to help clean it up. Said material continued to get buried in snow...resulting in this mess:

Notice the material beginning to disappear in the snow and the loose packing paper. All of which should be addressed immediately to prevent dispursement via wind and loss of parts to the ever unsatiated snow beast.

There are a few important circumstances to take note of in this situation. First, in my planning, I did not intend to put away the material until I had either help or acceptable weather. Had I known about the condition of this material, planning would of course have been altered. Second, millvans can be very, very dangerous. Getting into the millvan requires shoveling, millvan doors very easily swing close all on their own, sometimes trapping workers inside, and they're metal, which does not create ideal working conditions while it is -40°F and darker than dark. Third, digging material out of snowbanks is not very fun or productive. Finally, headlamps are nearly impossible to operate while wearing gloves.

Thankfully, over the summer, Bamma taught me how to wrangle these feisty millvans. This morning we had excellent weather, a mere -15°F and absolutely no wind, it was the perfect morning to put away the crate items. I went out prepared: radio in my pocket (so I could attempt to radio for help if needed), a phone call check-out with the boss so someone would know to look for me later if I didn't check back in, ECW gear, headlamp, paper and pencil, snow shovel and material information.

Imagine my shock to discover such a disaster! Albeit grumbling, I did manage to get the material put away nicely. Then again, neither the millvan nor the mess really stood a chance against Chichi...

Millvan 701, with my shovel.
The snow hasn't drifted or piled up too much in front
of the door just yet. Over the summer I shoveled through
a good four feet of snow and ice to get these very doors open.

This chain is very important. It keeps the wind from slamming
the door shut and locking me in the millvan.
I checked it twice.

Ahhh...inside 701.
Notice how I had to shovel a bit inside
as the snow drifts in somehow.
Sure looks dark and foreboding doesn't it???

This, however, is how nice all those
parts look when they're put away properly.

Final Score: Millvan = 0, Delivery Person = -666, Chichi = +722.

1 comment: