Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The McMurdo Greenhouse

Most of my days are black and white, sometimes brown and grey, except for the days that I take a little walk up to the McMurdo Greenhouse. Aside from the green: warmth, plant life, light and humidity have quite the influence on my senses and mood. Would you like a tour? Of course you would:

The dark, dark path to get to the greenhouse.

I spy the building...

number 147 - that's it!

Yes, please leave your goats in the vestibule.

Behind this door is a magical green land
that can quickly and easily be killed by
the cold, so be sure to slam this door and
be certain it is closed properly.

WOW! An amazing green cucumber wall!
Because space is limited and every square inch counts,
and the fact that nothing is actually grown in dirt,
the tomatoes, cucumbers and other plants grow up
cords rather than along the ground.

Tomatoes take center stage.

Calendula flowers!

Violas!

Jalapenos! Or rather, the beginnings of jalapenos!

Let us eat lettuce!

Two tiers of growing green lusciousness.

The cucumbers flower.

Beef steak tomatoes!

A cucumber!

A baby cucumber!

A beautiful orange nastershum!

More tomatoes!

Watch out for red-spotted toads!

Non-fried green tomatoes on the vine!


This is for my Auntie Linda, who likes to see green behind me,
instead of white and grey! My eyes still haven't
quite adjusted to all the light, hence the sleepy eyes,
although I am almost always sleepy.

Forget cookie monster! I'm the cherry tomato monster!

The herb room nursery!

Panoramic view of the herb room
with tomatoes, lemon basil and oregano.

Amidst the green, reveling in humidity and active energy!

A very green smile.

The Electric Blue frog chills with some lemon basil.

Dill!

Kale! My favorite!

Peppermint!

Cilantro!

Baby Sprouts!

Chives!

Feet up, excellent view of the tomatoes, this is the life...

Tank No. 8.

Yes, indeed.

The growing holes.

Production Line!

Arugula that reminds me of the precious plant from Wall-E.

Agua fresca...because you know, plants like water.

A lovely 78°F!!!

Another friendly reminder.

Fields of green forever, or at least a good week before the harvest.

Swiss Chard and Lettuce.

Plant Food!

Specific Nutrient Mixtures!

Water pH readings to ensure the proper balance and pefect growth.

Greenhouse magnetic poetry.

Reflective space walls.

The sum total of humidity in all of Antarctica.

Children's drawings of Antarctic life (penguins, whales and seals) decorate the door out: back to the snow and cold of The Rock.

3 comments:

  1. This is so lovely! I can only imagine how heavenly it feels and smells in there, especially coming from the dark and snow. It is amazing how a tomato plant can seem like such a miracle -- thinking about that makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great tour that was. I had no idea that Cynthia, was growing so many plants, herbs, flowers, fruits. I think everything but root veggies. Wow, am I impressed! I'm not growing that many things and I have heat and sunlight.
    Thanks for taking all those photos. I wonder if C. took some.
    I really enjoy your blog. Keep up the good work and especially the great writing. Hugs to anyone you can find to hug, including yourself.

    Orinda Spence (Cynthia's Mom in Cortez CO)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh!!! How do you not just bunk down and live in there. It is BEUtiful!! Thanks for sharing some fabulous green pictures of you. Love It!!! and Love you!!! Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete