Thursday, January 28, 2010

Wildlife!

One wouldn't expect to see much in the way of wildlife on the coldest and driest continent on Earth. And yet. There is the Skua, two variety of penguin, a breed of whale or two and seals! I wasn't sure I'd see any penguins as I was told such luck is entirely dependent on the season. I'm happy to report incredible good fortune this season as I got to see both Adelie and Emperor penguins, as well as Minke whales and Weddell seals. Even better, I got photos!

The Skua. A loathed bird. The skua is truly a survivalist and will not hesitate to attack for food. They know what our blue lunch trays mean. They know about aluminum foil. They even know that one might have food hidden inside a hood, coat pocket or backpack. The skua moves for no one. One must move for the skua. People have gone to medical as a result of an encounter with that sharp beak.

Skua at Hut Point. (I Drive Photo)

A baby Skua at Palmer Station. (I Drive Photo)

My friend Rose designed a Skuaside Girls Logo for her and Celeen's Ukulele Band that will debut on Ice next summer:


Adelie penguins go for a swim. (Photo by Katie Leum)

Little Adelie penguins jump out of the water.

Adelie penguins playing on the shore.

We thought these little Adelies might actually climb up the steep slope to visit us on Hut Point, but they were more interested in going back to play in the water.

Aren't the Adelies adorable? (I Drive Photo)

What's this? (I Drive Photo)

Penguin tracks! (I Drive Photo)

These Emperor penguins were casually molting along the road to Pegasus Airfield.

I got to see them from the comforts of Ivan the Terra Bus en route to my flight to Christchurch for R&R.

Emperor Penguins. (I Drive Photo)

More Emperor Penguins looking quite stately. (I Drive Photo)

Bamma (who one would know by now is primarily responsible for making sure I didn't miss a single amazing moment on the Ice) came by my room at 11pm one night and I met her and Kevin down at Hut Point for some whale watching. This is my very own shot of a Minke whale spouting water.

A closer view of the Minke. (I Drive Photo)

And finally, the Weddell Seal. As the weather gets warmer, I see more and more seals out on the sea ice, looking like big grey slugs.

Seals really do bark. (I Drive Photo)

Looking awfully soft and cuddly. (I Drive Photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment