Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Un-Awesomeness of Ship Off-load

Theoretically speaking, and even from a distance, Ship Off-load (also known as Vessel Evolution) is a grand and glorious time of year here at McMurdo. The reality (of the amount and type of work it takes to make it all happen), however, is totally and utterly un-awesome.

During Vessel Evolution, we split into two 12-hour shifts so that we are working around the clock to get all the cargo for the winter and next summer season off of the boat. Training was vague and the whole process could last from three to six days, depending on weather, machinery and organizaiton.

The first day was brutal. I don't know about you, but working 12 hours in 12°F (-2°F with the wind chill), is not my idea of a good time. It was exhausting. I never knew being cold could make one SO completely exhausted. (Not to mention the un-awesomeness of trying to stay hydrated and then having to take off 17 layers of clothing every time I had to pee). And I only had to do it for TWO DAYS - some folks down here have jobs that require them to be outside all day every day and THEN they get to go sleep in a tent. I used to think I was realtively tolerant and maybe even a little tough. Now I realize I am a total wus and totally ok with being one too.

I think it's important to work hard in life, to get blisters, to collapse in total exhaustion at the end of the day. Especially here, in the land of endless complainers, I do my best to work hard and keep my complaints to myself, because really, I have more to be grateful for than to complain about...today, I am grateful that Vessel Evolution is OVER.

Given the schedule and the fact I couldn't feel my fingers much of the time, I didn't take many pictures, but here is what I've got:

The American Tern (aka Vessel, aka The Tern).

Cargo Trucks queued up and waiting
to be loaded with cargo from the ship.

A view from my dorm of the American Tern in the bay.

Still my favorite feature on my camera, a panoramic view
of the Ice Pier, American Tern and Cargo Loading Area.

The Tern up close and personal.

Here she comes!
Just look at all the beautiful blue open water! (I Drive Photo)

The Tern prepares to dock. (I Drive Photo)

Ladies and Gentlemen, it's time for Vessel Evolution! (I Drive Photo)

First, all those containers (also known as Milvans) come off the ship and get distributed around station, the milvans on land there are the ones filled with various waste, waiting to be loaded back onto the boat and taken back to the States. (I Drive Photo)

The crane unloads new toys! (I Drive Photo)

Steady now... (I Drive Photo)

and safe on the ground! (I Drive Photo)

The Un-Awesomeness of Chichi at the end of Day 1.
My cheeks are chapped and red from the wind and cold,
despite the multidue of layers: hats, gators, etc.

My very dirty boots.

No comments:

Post a Comment