Fleet Operations is responsible for keeping the roads and runways goomed and making snow when snow is needed (Ha! Just kidding!)
Grooming and clearing the Ice Runway.I'm not going to lie. I was intimidated when I realized I was going to be driving a Delta. Having been on a Delta trip out to Cape Evans earlier in the season, which required no less than six stops to shovel the Delta out, and sheets of plywood to get going again, I was not excited to have the potential for getting stuck in massive amounts of snow with 18 passengers en route to New Zealand. The Airporter is fairly similar to a van, and therefore, less intimidating. However, it also has smaller wheels and isn't as heavy as the Delta, which caused some difficulty.
Once again, my Colorado upbringing helped me survive this lovely predicament. I am happy to report that I did not get stuck in the Delta. I did, however, almost get stuck in the Airporter. Thankfully, I know not to take my foot off the gas and plowed through the snow. My passengers were quite cheerful about making it to Pegasus without getting stuck. Win!

Also me, driving the Delta.
This is what it looks like when a Delta experiences tire trouble. (I Drive Photo)
The Airporter out at Pegasus Airfield, empty after the successful delivery of my passengers.
Another Delta delivers passengers to the plane.
C-17 on the Pegasus Runway.
The Loo (Bathroom) out at Pegasus Airfield.And what would ATO be without Ivan? It wouldn't. While I was scheduled to train to drive Ivan, it never actually happened - maybe next year!

No comments:
Post a Comment