Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Four-Hour Psych Exam

Thankfully only turned out to be two and a half hours, but entailed 500 questions on the MMPI (The Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory) test, (postin' this for you McRepublican) which, according to Wikipedia: “is one of the most frequently used personality tests in mental health. The test is used by trained professionals to assist in identifying personality structure and psychopathology.” I had a slight advantage having taken the MMPI and studied how it is interpreted/used in my psychology class in college. The tests tries to trick you by asking you the same question several times in a different way throughout the exam, and then they throw in, what I would consider 'obvious crazy questions' like “I often hear voices that I cannot locate the source of.” Or try to confuse you with, “I have no great fear of snakes.” All of these questions are True/False.



The second test consisted of 185 questions on the Sixteen Personality Factor Questionnaire which (also according to Wikipedia): tries “to scientifically discover and measure the fundamental traits of human personality.” I especially enjoyed the questions at the end of this test which included analogies (i.e. “Better is to worst as slower is to: A. faster B. rapid C. quickest) and logic questions (i.e. “The opposite of the opposite of 'inexact' is: A. consistent B. precise C. rough).

And after both tests was the interview, in which a broad range of questions are rapid-fired at you, including, “have you ever done any recreational drugs,” to which I had to resist answering sarcastically, “Yes, but I never inhaled.”

Anyhow, I'm glad to have the test behind me and am anxious for the Winter PQ approval along with my finalized tickets and travel plans, assuming of course, I managed to be normal enough to pass the Psych Exam.

No comments:

Post a Comment