A year or two out of high school, I attended a job fair in Downtown Denver. Raytheon Polar Services (the company I will be working for in Antarctica) had a booth at the fair and were recruiting for the upcoming season. At the time, I was extremely interested, but put the idea on the back shelf in my 'dream bucket.' While completing my Associates of Science Degree at FRCC, I continued to dream of ICE Adventures.
Over the past eight years, I've met one amazing person after another who has actually gone down and worked in Antarctica. Most recently (2006-2007), I worked as a nanny in Westminster, for the Z's who had both worked and actually met in Antarctica. Because of their experience and the incredible stories of so many others, I decided it was time I start applying for positions.
I applied for every position that Raytheon posted in the Denver area (and Antarctica) for 18 months and while there were several opportunities that didn't pan out, this past April, I got an interview for a local (Centennial, CO – Raytheon Headquarters) position. The intent of course, was to get my foot in the door.
The interview went really well, maybe even the best interview I've ever had and I really, really wanted the position. It was one of those gloriously surreal moments when one feels as though they might have discovered their home planet – or something like that. However, two weeks later, I got a call from Raytheon saying they really wanted to hire me, but my competition had prior experience with the company...BUT, was I interested at all in going to Antarctica? Heck yes! Was the answer to that question. And within a week, I had an offer letter in my hands for an "Alternate" position.
Now Alternates only get to go if for some reason, the Primary position person cannot make it or doesn't pass their physical qualifications (PQ). As an Alternate, however, I still had to go through the same PQ process as the Primary so that I could be ready to be ticketed at any moment, should circumstance favor me.
After successfully passing the PQ process, I just had to wait, and HOPE that a position opened up. Well, on July 28, I got the email, and then the call...they had a spot for me!
My original Alternate offer was only for 6 months, and my Primary offer is for an entire year. Therefore, I'll be on the ICE from October 3, 2009 to October 19, 2010. Presently my estimated Denver departure date is September 26.
From Denver I will fly to Los Angeles, then from Los Angeles to Sydney, Australia, from Sydney to ChristChurch, New Zealand, and from New Zealand to Ross Island, Antarctica (stationed at McMurdo). Antarctica is approximately 14,000 miles away from Denver though Google won't give me driving directions...I already tried.
So, right now I am in the process of selling or getting all of my belongings in to storage, figuring out what to pack and completing additional PQ requirements since I will be staying through the Winter season. All of that involves A LOT of checklists. Just this past week I bought a year's supply of toiletries.
And tonight...I just have to pack one more bin before turning in...just one more.
No comments:
Post a Comment