Monday, June 15, 2009

Preparations: Stage 1


In preparations for Antarctica, I have set up a P.O. Box in Golden as my permanent address. The new address is effective immediately, so any mail sent my way should be sent to:

P.O. Box 16128
Golden, CO 80402

As for the employment/travel process for Antarctica, here is the current update: I have completed my physical, dental examination, blood tests, drug tests and passport application. I spoke to my supervisor this past week and while I still am officially an Alternate for the Mapcon Data Specialist position, there are other options. The company has recently requested funding for additional positions and there is a possibility other (current existing) positions may become available. Therefore, it's possible I will be asked to fulfill one of those positions. Nothing is definite at this point, but my supervisor expressed his desire and preference for having me '"down on 'The Ice'" this season. We also discussed the possibility I will be offered a year-long (as opposed to 5 month) contract. I am hoping to know more by the end of June.

All that pending, it has been an interesting experience to try and prepare for possibly being out of the country for 5-12 months beginning in October. My belongings will most likely go in to storage and I have yet to determine the fate of my trusty Subaru.

As you might imagine, my mind has been occupied with many thoughts and my time has been occupied with administrative tasks to prepare for this new adventure.

Checklists in progress: seven.
Probability they will be put into an spreadsheet: highly likely.
Pie charts coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment