Monday, April 13, 2009

Guess Who Has an Offer Letter?

That's right...ME!

I've been offered an "Alternate" position with Raytheon Polar Services. Here is what that means:

For each position that Raytheon hires for (that deploys to Antarctica), they hire a Primary person and an Alternate person. If for whatever reason, the Primary person is not able to deploy, becomes ill or injured during the deployment, the Alternate takes their place. Just like an understudy if you will.

The position I'm being offered is the Alternate Mapcon Data Specialist position. Which is a fancy way of saying, "one who organizes data." The next season for deployment is the "summer" season (October - February). For now, I will go through the same processes as the Primary (completing a background check, physical qualifications, passport, etc.). Then, I'll just have to wait. Anytime between now and October (or even through February) I may or may not be asked to pack up and go to Antarctica, with anywhere from a few months to a few days notice.

Holy freakin' awesomeness no? I am doing a stealth ice dance of joy in my office right now.


Or maybe not so stealth.

No comments:

Post a Comment