Sunday, December 13, 2009

Hut Point Hike

That fabulous little point that I try to take a photo of every day is known as Hut Point. As the weather has been warmer recently (even warmer than Iowa), I decided to take a little hike down there to check out the views.

But first, I know you want some historical data on Hut Point, so here it is:

"Hut Point is located at 77 51S and 166 37E. The first people known to have set foot on land at the present site of McMurdo Station were the members of the British "Discovery Expedition" of 1901-03 led by Captain Robert F. Scott. Scott's Discovery Hut is located at the end of the road, and was erected in 1902.
About 25 men (Naval officers, enlisted men, and civilians) spent two winters here. On this expedition Scott failed to reach the South Pole, but the hardships didn't deter him from trying again 10 years later, when he and four companions died on their return journey from the South Pole. In that same season Ronald Amundsen became the first person to reach the South Pole."

The Discovery Hut Sign. (I Drive Photo)

Discovery Hut. (I Drive Photo)


My pictures from the hike:


A view of Hut Point from my dorm


Frozen mudsicles


Hut Ridge


Yep, still a badass


A Panorama view of the Sea Ice - the terrible thing about Antarctica is that it is entirely unphotogenic, it is nearly impossible to capture the experience of anything here, and those black dots on the left are Seals!


In case you didn't already know, I am actually on Ross Island, this is a nice picture of land and the Sea Ice together


A swimhole, also as the ice starts melting, it melts in holes.


Seals!


Seals swimming


Seals doing what seals do best - lay around lazily on the ice


The trail downward to Hut Point


The Lava Rock I'm attempting to hike on


A view of the Sea Ice and the trail


Our Lady of Snows Shrine


And a closer view of the Lady


Me on the Ridge with the Sea Ice in the background


More trail


A cool cracked volcanic rock


Vince's Cross, commemorating Seaman George T. Vince,
the first man to lose his life in McMurdo Sound.


Standing at Vince's Cross, looking back at the dorms,
here you can see Scott's Hut.



Me, contemplating the world and my place in it...

2 comments:

  1. it looks down right balmy in these pics - no big red and jeans?!? love that you got to see some seals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the contrary I think it is photogenic and amazingly beautiful. I love the contrast of the sky and the ice, both so alive in their own way. Thanks for these pics!

    ReplyDelete